Visiting Vincent Van Gogh at the Dallas Museum of Art


Riverbank in Springtime

I could have stood in front of these for days...




I found this Van Gogh hanging where I didn't expect it. The guard must have had a good laugh at my reaction  (my head whipped around twice for a fast double take at whiplash speed.)

I had plans to go to the Menil Collection but like last year, they fell through (plus, the main building is closed until summer.) I wanted to see at least one Van Gogh on this trip and Dallas was the only place that was open and with paintings on display. Mom and I trekked a few hours out of our way to see them. I have often wondered what Van Gogh would have thought about people traveling all over the world to see his work...

It is always worth it to see a Van Gogh in person. How I manage to stand in front of them and not blubber like an idiot every time is beyond me. The experience never leaves me. I think about the paintings often. They become a part of you.

I'll confess that I've had a bee in my bonnet since last year. I have it in my head that I want to stand in front of every Van Gogh painting in the United States. Last year I saw about 30 of them. I have been very lucky to have seen five so far this year! I have an idea regarding this that I will be sharing very soon...


"What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"
-Vincent Van Gogh 

Comments

Popular Posts